Border Crossing Anxiety Of The Sentimental Variety

"Home. . home is where you wear your hat... I feel so break-up, I wanna go home."
- Lord John Whorfin, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

+ + +


Every time I cross the border from Mexico into Texas, in the US of A I get this weird feeling. This strange anxiety, in the pit of my stomach, that feeling you get when you know you've eaten some bad Chinese food but the effects haven't set in yet.


[[When walking across the bridge I may have once or twice danced in front of this sign, just to say I did it Which I just did. So there you go.]]


Its not dealing with the immigration officers on the Mexican side, unless I'm in my car. I'm always worried about getting Greta stuck in Texas after that one fiasco thanks to the state of Pennsylvania no longer issuing stickers.


Its not dealing with the border patrol agents on the US side either. Though they have performed more than one "agricultural inspection" on Greta more than once. It seems when I'm at the airport I look like a terrorist, but when crossing the border from Mexico I look like the type who would have a trunk full of illegal fruits and vegetables. Strange.


No, it took me awhile to discover the exact source of that anxiety but I finally did the last time I came across the border in my car.


My trunk contained nothing more exciting than a new scented candle, a few packs of cloves, and an embarrassingly large quantity of pudding snacks. Hey, they are tasty, shelf-stable, and I can't find them anywhere down here. I'm told the Wal-Mart in Rio Bravo has them, but they are more expensive there. Also, there just seems to be something weird about going to a location as historic as Rio Bravo (both for the actual history and the classic Howard Hawks Western starring John Wayne and Dean Martin) to visit a Wal-Mart to buy large quantities of scented candles and butterscotch and tapioca flavored pudding cups (I'm preparing for old age).


So it wasn't like I was worried about the contents of my trunk concerning the border patrol agents. No, it wasn't that, it was a lot simpler; I was worried about not getting back into Mexico.



[[A fact some people find strange, as it can get so hard core down here even the coat racks are chambered for 5.56 rounds.]]


It occurred to me sitting there in traffic on the border bridge, with loud tourists on all sides carrying on as if they already been enjoying the potent, cheap drinks Nuevo Progresso is famous for.  Right there it hit me, I was worried I wouldn't, for some reason, make it back home. The same anxiety I feel every time I'm driving through southern Texas running errands, the same anxiety I feel when I approach the vehicle checkpoint on the Mexican side of the border, that was it. Its an irrational worry that for some reason I won't get home.


In a short period of time Mexico has come to feel very much like home to me. Not just my tiny apartment because I pay for it and it contains nearly all of my worldly possessions, not just because Tessa is here, its not just that, its that for some reason in a very short period of time Mexico has come to feel like my home.


"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
- Hunter S. Thompson


So far, car issues aside, I've accomplished what little I set out to do here. To break out of the suicidal rut I found myself in for the last few years. To change things, my situation, my life, in a drastic way. A way that reminded me that I was still alive, that there were still reasons to get out of bed in the morning that didn't involve the Smith & Wesson revolver on my nightstand.


For a long time writing, something I had always done for largely my own entertainment, only occasionally being paid for it, had become something I dreaded. I knew I had things to do, scripts to write, articles for blogs both my own and others, even the odd bit of poetry (Star Trek haikus, seriously, they even got published), and my most prolific use of prose-fiction which was writing background material for role playing games I occasionally run.


I would sit and look at the blinking cursor on my screen and feel a deep sense of dread. It was the same with other creative endeavors I've always enjoyed; photography, reading, the pursuit of the fairer sex. All the things that involved creativity in some way stopped bringing me joy. I've detailed that at much greater length in another post here.


What I didn't really go into, because it didn't occur to me fully until recently, is that aside from the absence of people who have become very important to me over the years this place, this strange country I find myself in, feels like home. Mexico has become home.


Hell, thanks to the afore mentioned car difficulties I have not even made it to my intended destination here in Mexico of the Yucatan Peninsula. A goal I will reach, come hell or high water as the saying goes, sooner than later.


The Yucatan is still a good distance away from Nuevo Progreso, the strange little border town I've lived in now for about 3 months, but its still Mexico. My guess is that when Tessa and I do finally arrive in the Yucatan, which is still Mexico, it won't feel like coming home, because we are already there. 


For whatever reason, my past, psychological damage, my innate need to periodically pick up and go someplace new which I blame on the not insubstantial quantity of plains Indian blood in my veins, I always feel a need to be somewhere I'm not. Very rarely have I ever found myself in a new place and felt the way I do here, like I'm home.


[[A strangely welcome sight after a long day.]]


I've felt that way in Morgantown, WV and Pittsburgh, PA, but in those places it was more the people around me, my friends, than the places themselves. I've felt that way in the deserts of the American Southwest. The first time I found myself in the desert, alone, with nothing around me but scrub brush and sand... that felt like home.  Its the same feeling I get every time I cross the border from the United States back into Mexico. That relief one feels at coming home after a long journey, no matter how pleasant. That feeling of finally being able to kick off your boots, pour a glass of something alcoholic, and sit down on your own furniture, in your own space, with your own cat, and completely relax.

Because you're home.


+ + +
This post and its original content copyright James Radcliff, and has been brought to you by Mexico, tequila, and generally poor decision making. If you would like to donate to support this bizarre little travelogue, feel free to do so via Patreon or PayPal. As always, this strange and debaucherous adventure has been brought to your screen by viewers like you. Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Days And 2 Nights Of Booze And Naked Girls: The Strip Clubs of Nuevo Progreso

"Can we all agree that what we are dealing with is Mexican strippers?"

Xanax, Vodka and Beautiful Women: Another Strange Night on The Border